The Intangible Gift & CHRISTmas

Another December has begun and with it the countdown to CHRISTmas.  People are frantically racking their brains for gift ideas for x, y, and z.  My wife just found out she passed the three day Common Final Exam for her Certified Public Accountant designation.  Last month, she graduated from the University of Alberta with a masters in accounting.
I sit here next to our lit-up Christmas tree and look at its base absent of presents at the moment and think to myself that presents do not always come in shiny wrapped boxes.  Sometimes a present is much more than a tangible good despite what a consumer driven society will tell you - especially this time of year.  
I think that the point of Christmas is to to be grateful for the tangibles and also the intangibles.  It seems to me the intangibles can be the gifts with the greatest significance, especially when the Gift is one of eternal significance.  So a nicely lit up Christmas tree, before the presents are put in place, provides a brief moment to consider the intangibles for example, the gift of Christ for all mankind.   
Of course, from the perspective of a child a tree without presents probably doesn't make sense.  But, I am not against presents or gift giving, I think it's great and if someone out there wants to gift me a Gibellini 810 Ti with 3 Gibellini film holders and a Schneider APO 300mm lens, I would be okay with that.  
I think perspective is crucial here.  I sure hope that at this time of year we do not lose perspective for the tangibles and intangibles as to what Christmas and gift giving and receiving really means.  I sincerely hope you all discover the Prince of Peace, find happiness and stay healthy.  (Isaiah 9:6)

Comments

Popular Posts