Lumberton 2009 Foto FieldTrip


"Get-Up" it was that time, i.e., about 0530hrs this morning. Time to get up, grab the gear (ZeroImage 6x9 & Nikon FM3A loaded with Rollei film and Acros 100, T Max 400 @ 320 both in 120 format) and head out to Lumberton. As we drove into the area the low lying regions consisted on a hovering white mist that moved graciously along the landscape prior to the sunrise. However, moving higher up into the region we quickly left this landscape scenery to explore another.
[Exposures metered with the Sekonic L-408 and extrapolated from the minimum aperture reading of f/90. I bracketed between 5~15 seconds for most exposures.]
Now a few years ago you may have read my posts and seen the photos as I worked with Acros 100 in one of my pinhole cameras and tested the Rollei near IR 400 ISO film in my Nikon. So, I have some familiarity with the area.
Today, was a day of contrasts between parts of the forest on the mountain sides that had succumbed to forest fire back in 2003 and new growth ... a little bit older growth ... and older growth still. It was spectacular looking at the different growths reflected not only in size, but in shade of green as they carpeted the far reaches of the mountains and valleys. As far as wildlife, we saw grouse, deer, and a black bear high-tailing it away from us.
I spent a fair bit of time working with my pinhole camera to capture the contrast between white daisies and fuchsia coloured blossoms with standing burnt trees whose bark was black, curled and peeling off, to reveal the dead, bald almost white patches of tree. Then there was the lush undergrowth and saplings that needed attention.
Large dandelion type blossoms in seed with the sun illuminating them added to the unique mystique of this naturally transformed landscape and made for another fantastic photo opp.
On the way home, stopped on a bridge to photograph the swift flowing river strewn with smooth rocks of varying sizes, shapes and colours. As I waded into the flowing water, I noticed that it was not as icy cold as when I waded into the Kicking Horse Creek a few weeks ago. The water was quite pleasant ... as a matter of fact ... one could enjoy just sitting there I suppose. I waded into a location where I could stabilise myself against a large bolder and yet still remain in the thick of the flowing water over rock in a stepped pattern and curving around to the right.
Although to our eyes, this landscape may appear static, their is a constant ebb and flow from this place.
Boy am I going to have a lot of film to process when I get back home to Victoria.
Special thanks to my host Ian for his excellent outdoor skills and knowledge of the area.

Comments

Popular Posts