Follow the Light - Autumn Colours

The autumn colours are upon us and soon to depart into the natural seasonal cycle established all those years ago at Creation.  For the photographer it is a great time to load colour film into one's camera(s) as the case may be.
One of my favourite subjects remains the Momiji - the Japanese Maple Tree, which I first came across in Japan, but have since found them over here.  Autumn is such a wonderful time in Japan as the pounding heat and humidity of the Asian summer gives way to a more refreshing time of year.  Nevertheless, these days the same can be said for Canada as we see increasingly brutally long, very hot summers.
Anyway, autumn for me means Provia or Velvia two of my favourite go-to colour emulsions.  Since reversal films have been my colour film of choice for several years, I just naturally see my colour work in these terms.  I dabbled a bit in colour negative film also referred to a C41 film due to the way it is processed, but enjoy the high acutance, colour fidelity and tonality of reversal film or E6 emulsions, which indicates the process used for this type of colour film.  I don't want to leave the impression that C41 films are inferior, they are not, but they are just not my preferred colour films to work with.  I admit that E6 film may not be as exposure forgiving to work with as C41, and there are fewer brand choices which just makes me bit more selective in subject matter, composition and of course exposure before I activate my camera shutter.
But autumn colours are not exclusively for E6 or C41 colour emulsions, I submit that Black & White films can also make some very beautiful images in a range of grey hues.  What I think is important is to get out there with whatever camera and emulsion I have and enjoy this special time of year where nature transitions from one season to the next as each season is very special in its own creative way.
For me, to be out and about with my cameras and rolls or sheets of film ready to use, to breath the crisp autumn air and admire the frost tipped leaves where sun has not reached, to look around and see the colourful carpets left by deciduous trees who have shed their leaf coverings, to watch for the leftover stragglers hanging onto their trees and wonder, to observe how autumn light is different than summer light on the rural or urban landscape is always good therapy as I continue to follow the Light.
And finally, speaking of light --- as we transition from one season to the next, I hope you all enjoy a safe, healthy and memorable CHRISTmas a time when we have the opportunity to remember the greatest Gift given to all mankind that no Santa Claus or other human being can come close to giving.
HERE is the podcast version.



Comments

Popular Posts